Any survey that meets one of the following conditions should undergo the survey review process:
- Surveys that request a random sample of IUPUI students, faculty, or staff.
- Surveys that will generalize to the broader IUPUI population of students, faculty, or staff.
- Surveys that target specific subpopulations such as enrollment status, gender, ethnicity.
- Surveys used for institutional measures and improvement.
- Any survey intended for listing on the IUPUI website.
Small scale or focused intent surveys, such as academic faculty research surveys, assigned course work, focus groups, participants' event evaluations, or point-of-service surveys targeting specific users that do not meet one of the above conditions are not subject to this process or the survey approval form.
If you have questions about whether your survey needs IUPUI Survey Committee approval, please contact Caleb Keith.
The IUPUI Survey Committee review process is for surveys that target current IUPUI students, faculty, and staff. If you are interested in surveying populations from other IU campuses, we suggest that you contact the appropriate person(s) below.
- IU Bloomington – Linda Shepard or Judith Ouimet
- IU Southeast – Ron Severtis Jr
- IU Northwest – John Novak
- IU East – Oniffe Grizzle
- IU Kokomo – Angela Smith
- IU South Bend – Biniam Tesfamarian
To help us accommodate your request dates and sample needs, the following submission deadlines should be observed:
- Fall semester surveys — July 1
- Spring semester surveys — November 1
- Summer surveys — March 1
Please note that your requested start date may not fall into the expected semester. Please see the question “How do I determine which submission deadline is appropriate for my survey?” for more information.
Student names needed to administer a survey will not be made available until after classes have started. For the purposes of the IUPUI Survey Committee, surveys that begin administration within the dates below will be considered part of the corresponding semester.
- September 1 – December 31 — Fall semester
- January 1 – April 30 — Spring semester
- May 1 – August 31 — Summer semester
Please note that your requested survey start date may affect submission deadlines.
If you have missed the submission deadline and still want to submit a survey for review, please submit the Survey Approval Form. There is no guarantee that the IUPUI Survey Committee will be able to accommodate your requested dates; however, it may be possible to administer your survey the following semester. You will be contacted after the committee has reviewed your survey.
Please contact Caleb Keith if you have any questions.
Surveys that have been previously approved by the IUPUI Survey Committee and previously administered are required to submit for approval to re-administer the survey.